LINGUIST List 30.4343
Fri Nov 15 2019
Jobs: French; Computational Linguistics: Language Engineer, Amazon
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Kasia Krotki <kasiakr
French; Computational Linguistics: Language Engineer, Amazon, Berlin, Germany E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Amazon
Department: Alexa NLU
Job Location: Berlin, Germany
Web Address: https://www.amazon.com/
Job Title: French Computational Linguist
Job Rank: Language Engineer; Other
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics
Required Language(s): French (fra)
Are you a linguist with technical aptitude? Or are you an engineer with a passion for (human) languages and linguistics? Come work on Alexa! We are building the speech and language solutions behind Amazon Echo and other Amazon products and services. Our goal is to delight our customers by adding new features to Alexa and by improving the accuracy of our existing speech recognition and natural language processing systems.
We are seeking a French Language Engineer with experience in linguistic annotation, ontologies, taxonomies and/or semantic schemas. In this role, you will be a key member in new feature development and identify and solve issues directly affecting the customer experience by becoming an expert in annotation schemas and natural language understanding.
- Design the natural language processing components of new Alexa experiences and features by reviewing and debugging grammars and FSTs
- Identify and solve production issues that are impacting the Alexa customer experience
- Collaborate with other Language Engineers, Scientists and Data Associates in creating optimal solutions to elevate the customer experience
- Advocate strict adherence to annotation guidelines
- Use modeling tools to bootstrap and test new functionalities
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a relevant field, including Linguistics, Computational Linguistics and Language Psychology
- 4+ years experience in computational linguistics, language data processing, semantics or syntax
- Native or near-native fluency in French
- Experience with language annotation and other forms of data markup
- Experience with ontologies and other semantic meaning representation schemas
- Experience in Perl, Python or another scripting language
- Excellent communication, strong organizational skills and very detail-oriented
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative and dynamic work environment
- Willingness to support several projects at one time and to accept reprioritization as necessary
- Experience in writing grammars and building FSTs
- Experience with statistical language modeling
- Practical knowledge of version control and agile development
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
This position is located in Berlin, Germany and relocation is provided.
Please email your CV to the application email provided below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: kasiakr
Page Updated: 15-Nov-2019