LINGUIST List 30.4216
Wed Nov 06 2019
Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Technical Specialist, HarperCollins Publishers
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Jim Irvine <jim.irvine
Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Technical Specialist, HarperCollins Publishers, Glasgow, UK E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: HarperCollins Publishers
Department: Collins Learning - Language Team
Job Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom
Web Address: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/
Job Title: Corpus Lead & Product Support Developer
Job Rank: Other; Technical Specialist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Text/Corpus Linguistics; XML
This is an exciting opportunity to lead language corpus development and provide language product support and systems development within Collins Learning. The position will sit as part of the Language Development Team in Glasgow.
We are looking for someone with an interest in computational linguistics and language publishing, who has solid communication skills and is thorough in their work. The ability to work well in a team in a calm and effective manner is paramount as are skills in explaining complex technical issues and solutions to colleagues at all levels.
- Lead the formulation and implementation of a strategic plan for corpus development in conjunction with Business Development, Language Content Team and other key stakeholders.
- Manage builds across all corpora, including assimilation of new content and creation of new corpora as required.
- Ensure appropriate end-user corpus tools are available to all users at all times.
- Ensure appropriate corpus derived content is effectively used on www.collinsdictionary.com
- Provide support to in-house and external users of DPS, the Digital Publishing System used to manage all dictionary content, and liaise with vendors to ensure effective plans are in place for future development.
- Use scripting, and associated techniques to manipulate language data held in DPS, or as tagged text, to ensure it is correctly formatted at each stage of the production process.
- Apply best industry standard processes and practices on all all database and computational support work across the division.
- Train and assist other product support staff to allow them to deliver effective computational support for the languages team.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree or equivalent in Computational Linguistics, Computer Science or other relevant technical discipline.
- Experience building and using language corpora, including parallel corpora.
- Experience of the practical application of publishing technologies.
- Experience of corpus linguistics.
- Technical knowledge and experience of XML workflows and associated technologies for content creation and management.
- An interest in language.
To apply, please see the application link provided below.
Application Deadline: 29-Nov-2019
Web Address for Applications: https://app.beapplied.com/apply/dcekjizf56
Head of Digital Resources Jim Irvine
Page Updated: 06-Nov-2019