LINGUIST List 30.4162
Mon Nov 04 2019
Jobs: Portuguese; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Researcher, Amazon
Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <beccalinguistlist.org>
Pawel Mazur <pawmazur
Portuguese; Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Researcher, Amazon E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Amazon
Job Title: TTS Language Engineer - Portuguese
Job Rank: Researcher
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology; Text/Corpus Linguistics
Required Language(s): Portuguese (por)
Come join us, we build TTS voices that help developers revolutionize the way people interact with devices and services!
At Amazon we take pride in building complete end-to-end solutions, starting from researching a problem, implementing the solution, building a scalable and reliable service and ensuring the service is there when you need it.
The position is based at the Amazon office in Cambridge, UK or Gdansk, Poland.
As a TTS Language Engineer you will work alongside Audio Engineers, Research Scientist, Software Developers and Program Managers who are subject matter experts in speech synthesis and related fields. You are expected to have solid knowledge of linguistics, in particular knowledge of phonetics/phonology. You will be working on a variety of tasks to improve natural language processing of TTS (text-to-speech). You will actively collaborate with Software Developers with linguistic expertise throughout the whole language and voice building process at Amazon.
The tasks include:
- Build TTS voices using internal tools and pipelines
- QA of TTS voices and linguistic data
- Normalizing textual resources through regular expressions
- Creating natural language test cases for natural language processing modules
- Labeling text with semantic, syntactic and morphological features
- Contribute to the formalization of language models through in depth knowledge of phonological and morphosyntactic aspects of the target language
- Annotating lexicon entries according to guidelines
- Producing / validating phonetic transcriptions
- Solid knowledge of phonetics/phonology
- Native-level proficiency in Portuguese (especially Brazilian Portuguese)
- Solid knowledge of regular expressions
- Ability to create/fix phonetic transcriptions in the target language
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux command line tools
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Perl, Python)
- Degree in Linguistics, with specialization in Phonology, Computational linguistics or similar
- Familiarity with software version control tools (e.g. Git)
- Solid communication skills
- Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies related to foreign languages, linguistics, phonetics, phonology and language technology
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative, dynamic work environment
To apply, please see the application link provided below.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: langton
Web Address for Applications: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/765492/tts-language-engineer-portuguese
Page Updated: 04-Nov-2019