The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported primarily by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2016 Fund Drive.
Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
LEAD Graduate School
The interdisciplinary Graduate School 'Learning, Educational Achievement, and Life Course Development' (LEAD), situated at the University of Tübingen, invites applications for up to six three-year doctoral positions or stipends starting October 2014.
We welcome applications from students interested in research at the intersection of Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Natural Language Procesing (NLP), and Education.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Language Technology and educational assessment;
- language complexity in educational contexts, for instance language learning or domain-specific discourse, for instance math education;
- NLP and Clinical Psychology, such as analyzing linguistic correlates of ADHD;
- Intelligent Tutoring Systems (extending activity types, feedback, learner modeling);
- linguistic analysis and/or Computational Modeling of learner's language in Second Language Acquisition Research (SLA);
- SLA-motivated input enhancement and Intelligent Computer-Aided Language Learning (ICALL);
- integrating Cognitive and Linguistic Modeling in educational contexts.
Ideal candidates should posses:
- successfully or nearly finished MA or MSc or equivalent degree in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, Language Technology, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Psychology, or a related field;
- excellent grades and a strong interest in conducting research from an interdisciplinary perspective;
- linguistic and computational background, programming experience, and strong interest in educational science and applications.
LEAD PhD candidates benefit from:
- a prestigious, internationally focused and interdisciplinary PhD program funded by the German Excellence Initiative;
- regular thesis discussions with peers and supervisory teams, plus retreats, lectures and workshops by international guest researchers;
- individual and project funds to support research and training;
- training and research support from the LEADing Research Center;
- LEAD support systems for families, equal opportunity, and diversity.
How to apply
Applications should include the following documents:
- a completed application cover sheet;
- a CV, degree certificates and transcripts (or documentation of degree about to be obtained);
- two letters of recommendation;
- a statement of research interest and experience, and a motivation letter describing your interest in obtaining a PhD in LEAD.
The related forms can be found at: http://purl.org/lead/apply
Send all application documents in one single pdf attachment via email to the Director of the LEAD Graduate School, Prof. Dr. Ulrich Trautwein, at ulrich.trautwein uni-tuebingen.de, no later than June 22, 2014. Applications beyond this date are welcome and may be taken into account as further positions become available. Note that interviews will be scheduled for July 15/16, 2014.
Please contact potential advisors from the LEAD faculty to discuss your interests and potential PhD projects before applying. The faculty members in the 'Language' intersection of LEAD can be found at: http://purl.org/lead/language
For informal inquiries contact:
Dr. Magdalena Wolska
Prof. Dr. Detmar Meurers
The University of Tübingen is an equal opportunity employer regarding professional opportunities for women and men. Equally qualified candidates with physical challenges will be given preference. Employment will be conducted by the central university administration.
|Application Mailing Address:||Prof. Dr. Ulrich Trautwein Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen Europastraße 6 Tübingen 72072 Germany|
|Application Web Address:||http://www.lead.uni-tuebingen.de/promotionsprogramm/lead-mitglied-werden.html|
|Contact Information:||Magdalena Wolska firstname.lastname@example.org|