The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported primarily by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2016 Fund Drive.
|Specific Language:||Greek, Modern|
University of Macedonia
Educational and Social Policy
A Ph.D. vacancy position has been opened at the University of Macedonia, Greece, in the framework of ‘iCARE’, a European research and training network (Marie Curie ITN) on ‘improving Children’s Auditory Rehabilitation’. iCARE is an international and interdisciplinary consortium from academia, industry and socio-economic agencies. The position is available for 3 years, starting in June 2014 and aims in the completion of a Ph.D. within 4 years. Limited funding may be available in the 4th year.
The aim of Early Stage Researchers (ESR) is to investigate the phono-prosodic cues that underlie the processing of spoken words by profoundly hearing impaired children with cochlear implants (CI).
- Assess the role of speech signal cues on lexical processing by CI children.
- Investigate the acquisition of phonological grammar by CI children in two languages, Greek and another language.
- Develop hierarchies of phono-prosodic cues that facilitate lexical processing.
- Develop e-learning/remote rehabilitation tools for clinical practice and/or parent guidance.
Tasks and methodology:
- Psycholinguistic experiments that involve presentation of controlled speech stimuli, computerized, forced-choice tasks, reaction times and elicited productions.
- Obtaining accuracy ratings and performing acoustic analysis of speech via spectrography.
- Conducting speech and language assessments in young children with CI, working with them in sound-attenuated rooms, making audio recordings.
- Programming and carrying out computerized tasks.
- A Master's level degree (or equivalent) in Communication Disorders, Hearing Impairment, Speech Science or Hearing Science.
- Scientific background in the study of speech, acoustics and phonology
- A vested interest in hearing-impaired children and multi-disciplinary international team work, demonstrated by willingness to move to Salonika, Greece.
- Familiarity with research tools, such as PRAAT, E-Prime or other computerized software for designing psycholinguistic tasks.
- Technical competence for data analysis (Excell, SPSS, Statistica, etc.).
- Excellent command of English language, both in academic writing and in verbal communication. Knowledge of Greek is recommended.
- Research experience in any of the above fields and clinical or other experience in working with children is desirable.
How to apply:
Please send your CV, full contact information for two references and letter of intent to Prof. Areti Okalidou (okalidou uom.gr). Make sure that you obtain a confirmation response upon their receipt. Other documents such as English language proficiency and recommendations may be submitted upon request later on.
|Application Mailing Address:||Prof. Areti Okalidou Dept. of Educational and Social Policy, University of Macedonia Egnatias 156, P.O. 1591 Salonika Salonika 540 06 Greece Tel. : +30-2310-891358.|
|Application Web Address:||http://www.icareitn.eu|
|Contact Information:||Prof. Areti Okalidou email@example.com Phone:+30-2310-891358|