Publishing Partner: Cambridge University Press CUP Extra Wiley-Blackwell Publisher Login
amazon logo
More Info

New from Oxford University Press!


Language Planning as a Sociolinguistic Experiment

By: Ernst Jahr

Provides richly detailed insight into the uniqueness of the Norwegian language development. Marks the 200th anniversary of the birth of the Norwegian nation following centuries of Danish rule

New from Cambridge University Press!


Acquiring Phonology: A Cross-Generational Case-Study

By Neil Smith

The study also highlights the constructs of current linguistic theory, arguing for distinctive features and the notion 'onset' and against some of the claims of Optimality Theory and Usage-based accounts.

New from Brill!


Language Production and Interpretation: Linguistics meets Cognition

By Henk Zeevat

The importance of Henk Zeevat's new monograph cannot be overstated. [...] I recommend it to anyone who combines interests in language, logic, and computation [...]. David Beaver, University of Texas at Austin

Summary Details

Query:   question on a word -Reply
Author:  Jonathan Gilbert
Submitter Email:  click here to access email
Linguistic LingField(s):   Sociolinguistics

Summary:   Many thanks for the replies! In particular, I'll pass on the
reference suggestions. I should probably be slightly more specific
about what we're looking for: a word (again, my friend writing the
dissertation believes one exists) that would fit in the sentence:
"Word X has/is [XXXX] with the normal usage of word Y." or else:
"These people have [XXXX] the meanings of word X and word Y."

That is, we're not looking for examples of X and Y, or for a
description of the general phenomenon of X changing meaning or having
a special (argot or jargon) meaning, but we want to know if there is a
term [XXXX] which would accurately indicate that X and Y are being
used synonymously when they are not normally synonyms ...

The specific X and Y in question here are "marriage" and "home" (yes,
I do realize that "marriage" and "home" overlap a lot in their usage
anyway; I'm not familiar enough with my friend's topic to know exactly
what she's arguing, but I believe it involves a particular couple's
development of an individual and idiosyncratic concept of marriage,
which at times becomes, um, blended? with their concept of home to the
extent that they will use either word to refer to it ... something
like that. Regardless, you can tell from my attempt to state the
question why a word is needed ... :-)

Replies by email please (I'm not a regular reader of these lists).
And thanks again.

Jonathan Gilbert

>>> Peter T. Daniels <> 07/29/97 06:45pm >>>
An example would help, but it sounds like you're talking about jargon,
slang, or argot (idiosyncratic language varieties defined according to
the user group; see textbooks of sociolinguistics).

>>> Deborah D K Ruuskanen <> 07/30/97 12:00am
>>> Words used in separate contexts changing meaning? I should imagine
there are quite a lot, particular if you think of American/British
differences. [..snip]

>>> Carsten Breul <> 07/30/97 05:06am >>>
In David Crystal's _The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language_
(Cambridge: CUP, 1987), there are descriptions of situations
resp. phenomena which might be close to what you're friend is looking
for. [examples snipped]

>>>>>>>[The original question:]>>>>>
The question is on behalf of another friend who is working on a
dissertation (not on a linguistics topic, it's social history of a sort); she
wants to describe a situation in which the usage of one word (in a
particular context, by a small group of people) has diverged enough from
its standard usage that it has become interchangeable with another
word, normally either different or unrelated in meaning. My friend
believes there is a word for this phenomenon, but nobody we've asked
so far has been able to identify it ... does anyone out there know?

Jonathan Gilbert

LL Issue: 8.1123
Date Posted: 01-Aug-1997
Original Query: Read original query


Sums main page