This alphabetic guide provides definitions and discussion of key terms used
in corpus linguistics. Corpus data is being used in a growing number of
English and Linguistics departments which have no record of past research
with corpus data. This is the first comprehensive glossary of the many
specialist terms in corpus linguistics and will be useful for corpus
linguists and non corpus linguists alike. Clearly written, by a team of
experienced academics in the field, the glossary provides full coverage of
both traditional and contemporary terminology. Entries are focused around
the following broad groupings:
* Important corpora
* Key technical terms in the field
* Key linguistic terms relevant to corpus-based research
* Key statistical measures used in corpus linguistics
* Key computer programme/retrieval systems used in the construction and
exploitation of corpora
* Standards applied within the field of corpus linguistics.
Paul Baker, Andrew Hardie and Tony McEnery are all based in the Department
of Linguistics and English Language, Lancaster University.
A Glossary of Corpus Linguistics is available in North America through
Columbia University Press.