This is a new edition of the first volume of G.P.Baker and P.M.S. Hacker’s
definitive reference work on Wittgenstein’s Philosophical Investigations.
- Takes into account much material that was unavailable when the first
edition was written.
- Following Baker's death in 2002, P.M.S. Hacker has thoroughly revised the
first volume, rewriting many essays and sections of exegesis completely.
- Part One – the Essays – now includes two completely new essays: 'Meaning
and Use' and 'The Recantation of a Metaphysician'.
- Part Two – Exegesis §§1–184 – has been thoroughly revised in the light of
the electronic publication of Wittgenstein's Nachlass, and includes many
new interpretations of the remarks, a history of the composition of the
book, and an overview of its structure.
- The revisions will ensure that this remains the definitive reference work
on Wittgenstein’s masterpiece for the foreseeable future.