The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2017 Fund Drive.
Personal Directory Information
|Name:||Zoe Louise Handley|
|Institution:||University of Oxford|
|Email:||click here to access email|
|State and/or Country:||United Kingdom|
|Specialty:||Compuer Assisted Language Learning|
|Selected Publications:||Journal and conference articles:
- Macaro, E, Handley, Z, and Walter, C (Accepted). A systematic review of CALL in English as a second language: Focus on primary and secondary education. Language Teaching.
- Handley, Z. (Accepted) Text-to-Speech Synthesis Research. In Chapelle, C (Ed.) The Encyclopaedia of Applied Linguistics. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Handley, Z, Sharples, M, Moore, D. (2009). Training Novel Phonemic Contrasts: A Comparison of Identification and Oddity Discrimination Training. SLaTE 2009, Wroxall Abbey Estate, Warwickshire, UK
- Handley, Z. (2009). Is Text-to-Speech (TTS) Synthesis Ready for Use in Computer-Assisted Language Learning (CALL)? Speech Communication. 51(10): 906-919
- Handley, Z. and Hamel, M.-J. (2005). Establishing a Methodology for Benchmarking Speech Synthesis for Computer-Assisted Language Learning (CALL). Language Learning & Technology Journal. 9 (3): 99-119.
- Handley, Z. and Hamel, M.-J. (2004). Investigating the Requirements of Speech Synthesis for CALL with a View to Developing a Benchmark. In Procs. InSTIL/ICALL 2004 (pp. 71-74). Venice, Italy.
- Handley, Z. (2010). Electronic Discourse in Language Learning and Teaching – Edited by Lee B. Abraham and Lawrence Williams. International Journal of Applied Linguistics. 20(3): 417-423
- Handley, Z. (2010). Teaching Languages Online – by Carla Meskill, and Natascha Anthony. Linguist List.
|Courses Taught:||Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
Teaching and Learning Language
Technology Enhanced Language Teaching
|Dissertation Abstract:||Evaluating Text-to-Speech (TTS) Synthesis for use in Computer-Assisted Language Learning (CALL)|
Teaching Languages Online
(LL Issue 21.4908)
Task-Based Language Learning and Teaching with Technology (LL Issue 22.2303)
|Academic Paper Abstract:||
Is Text-to-Speech Synthesis Ready for Use in Computer-Assisted Language Learning?
A systematic review of CALL in English as a second language: Focus on primary and secondary education
|Add to Linguist Directory||Update your entry|