The LINGUIST List is dedicated to providing information on language and language analysis, and to providing the discipline of linguistics with the infrastructure necessary to function in the digital world. LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics students and faculty, and supported primarily by your donations. Please support LINGUIST List during the 2016 Fund Drive.
Personal Directory Information
|Name:||María Blume (IPA: maria blume)|
|Institution:||University of Texas at El Paso|
|Email:||click here to access email|
|State and/or Country:||
|Specialty:||Acquisition of morphosyntax and pragmatics|
Blume, María; Foley, Claire; Whitlock, Jordan; Flynn, Suzanne, and Lust, Barbara. Principles and new cybertools for interlinking data in the study of language acquisition: Leveraging the advantages of a digital environment. Proceedings of the Georgetown University Round Table e on Languages and Linguistics 2012 (GURT 2012): 'Measured Language: Quantitative Approaches to Acquisition, Assessment, Processing and Variation', March 8th to 11th of 2012.
Blume, María. Discourse-morphosyntax interaction in the acquisition and use of Spanish finite and non-finite answers.
Blume, María. Aspectual ambiguity effects in the development of morphosyntax: English and Spanish contrasts in speaking about habitual events.
Austin, Jennifer; Blume, María, and Sánchez, Liliana. “Bilingualism in the Spanish-Speaking World: Linguistic and Cognitive Perspectives” (Cambridge University Press).
Austin, Jennifer; Blume, María, and Sánchez, Liliana. Syntactic Development in the L1 of Spanish-English Bilingual Children. Hispania Journal. (accepted for publication February 11, 2012)
Macías, Ana; Arêas da Luz Fontes, Ana; Blume, María and Kephart, Kerrie. Teaching English Language Arts in Spanish: An Exploration into Sheltered English Instruction. TESOL Journal. (accepted for publication November 27, 2011)
Blume, María and Lust, Barbara. First Steps in Transforming the Primary Research Process through a Virtual Linguistic Lab for the Study of Language Acquisition and Use: Challenges and Accomplishments. Journal of Computational Science Education, vol. 3, 1: 34-46.
Blume, María and Lust, Barbara. Data Transcription and Analysis Tool. User's Manual. (available at http://webdta.clal.cornell.edu/site/login).
Blume, María, Flynn, Suzanne; and Lust, Barbara. Creating Linked Data for the Interdisciplinary International Collaborative Study of Language Acquisition and Use: Achievements and Challenges of a new Virtual Linguistics Lab. In Christian Chiarcos, Sebastian Nordhoff, and Sebastian Hellmann (Eds.) Linked Data in Linguistics. Representing and Connecting Language Data and Language Metadata. Heidelberg/Dordrecht/London/New York: Springer Verlag, pp. 85-96.
Lust, Barbara; Flynn, Suzanne; Blume, María; Westbrooks, Elaine, and Tobin, Theresa. Constructing Adequate Language Documentation for Multifaceted Cross-Linguistic Data: A Case Study from a Virtual Center for Study of Language Acquisition. In Lenore A. Grenoble and N. Louanna Furbee (editors). Language Documentation: Practice and Values. pp. 89-107. Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
Courtney, Ellen and Blume, María. Second Language Acquisition. http://issweb.utep.edu/home/faculty/blume/
Lust, Barbara; Flynn, Suzanne; Blume, María; Corson-Rikert, Jon, and Lowe, Brian. Searching interoperability between Linguistic Coding and Ontologies for Language Description: Language Acquisition Data. Proceedings of 2005 E-MELD Workshop. http://www.emeld.org/workshop/2005/proceeding.html
|Announced on LINGUIST :||
Bilingualism in the Spanish-Speaking World
|Reviewed on LINGUIST :||
Bilingualism in the Spanish-Speaking World
|Courses Taught:||University of Texas at El Paso,
• Introduction to Linguistics
• Spanish Phonetics and Phonology
• Language Acquisition
• Language Acquisition Research Lab
• CI-Compatible Research Principles and Procedures in a VLL course (Funded by NSF grant 07-564)
• Entering a Virtual Linguistics Lab: New cybertools for the scientific study of language development (Funded by NSF grant 07-564)
• CI-Compatible Research in Multilingualism and Second Language Acquisition (Funded by NSF grant 07-564)
• El estudio del bilingüismo con un enfoque en la investigación compatible con la ciber-infraestructura (‘The study of bilingualism with a focus on cyber-infrastructure compatible research’, funded by NSF grant 0753415).
• Cyber-Infrastructure Research in First Language Acquisition with a Focus on Spanish.
• Research Methods
• Second Language Acquisition
• Spanish Syntax
• Extended Research Project
• Thesis I
• Thesis II
• The Structure of Spanish for Language Professionals
• Pedagogical Issues in Spanish
• Advanced Composition
Linguistic Society of America Summer Institute.
• LSA 331: Language Acquisition Methodologies and Practices: How They Alter the Pursuit of the Scientific Study of Language. Linguistic Society of America Summer Linguistic Institute, Stanford University (with Drs. Lust, Flynn, Chien, Foley, Dye and Drozdt)
Cornell University (TA and Lecturer)
• Language Development Lab Course
• Spanish 121
• Spanish 122
• Spanish 123
• Spanish 203
• Spanish 209
Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Lima, Peru.
• Lengua 1, Estudios Generales Letras
• Lengua 1, Estudios Generales Ciencias
• Lengua 1, Estudios Generales Educación
• Literatura 1, Estudios Generales Letras,
|Dissertation Abstract:||Discourse-Morphosyntax Interface in Spanish non-finite Verbs: A comparison between adult and child grammars|
|Add to Linguist Directory||Update your entry|