LINGUIST List 24.938|
Thu Feb 21 2013
Jobs: General Ling; Neuroling; Psycholing: Post Doc/Researcher, Radboud University Nijmegen
Editor for this issue: Uliana Kazagasheva
From: Asifa Majid <asifa.majidlet.ru.nl>
Subject: General Linguistics; Neurolinguistics; Psycholinguistics: Post Doc/Researcher, Radboud University Nijmegen, Nijmegen, Netherlands
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Radboud University Nijmegen
Job Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
Web Address: http://www.ru.nl/letteren/
Job Rank: Post Doc; Researcher
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Neurolinguistics; Psycholinguistics
Postdoctoral Researcher in Olfactory Language and Cognition.
Philosophers, biologists and anthropologists alike have claimed that humans are limited in their sense of olfaction: olfactory experiences seem to be “ineffable”, difficult or even impossible to put into words. But there is recent evidence from non-Western societies and expert populations that challenges this view. Within this project, a team of researchers will investigate olfactory language and cognition in different cultural settings, including small-scale, lesser-known language communities.
You will participate in the project HumanOlfaction at the Intersection of Language, Culture and Biology funded by a Vici grant from the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO). You will do field work in a non-Indo-European language in order to investigate both olfactory language and cognition. You will perform linguistic documentation of olfactory language in a community with potential for lexical elaboration in this domain. You will also conduct experiments in the field to explore olfactory cognition. You are expected to be an active member of the project group. You will write high-impact peer-reviewed journal articles and will also present your results at conferences and workshops.
- Hold a PhD in Linguistics, or equivalent;
- Have a strong academic record as evidenced by curriculum vitae and publication record;
- Have experience with fieldwork in a non-Indo-European language;
- Have an established field site with potential for olfactory language;
- Have an excellent command of spoken and written English;
- Have a strong commitment to linguistic documentation;
- Have a strong commitment to interdisciplinary research;
- Have experience with organizing workshops and/or conferences;
- Have experience with coordinating research projects;
- Have experience with supervising students;
- Have the ability to work in a team;
- Have knowledge of experimental and elicitation methods (desirable, but not necessary).
We offer you:
- Employment: 0,8 - 1,0 fte;
- A maximum gross monthly salary of € 4,418 based on a 38-hour working week (salary scale 11);
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- The starting salary will depend on qualifications and experience;
- Duration of the contract: one year with the possibility of extension by 1 year;
- You will be classified as a Postdoctoral Researcher (Onderzoeker 3) in the Dutch university job-ranking system (UFO).
You can find out about our excellent employment conditions at http://www.ru.nl/english/arbeidsvoorwaarden.
Further information on Faculty of Arts can be found at http://www.ru.nl/letteren/.
For questions regarding the project contact Prof. dr. Asifa Majid at the contact email address below.
You must be able to begin work by September 1st 2013 at the latest.
To apply for this position, please send the following documents in English and in PDF-format:
motivation letter (including details of fieldsite) curriculum vita, a writing sample in English (40 pages max) and two letters of recommendation.
It is Radboud University Nijmegen's policy to only accept applications by e-mail. Please send your application, stating vacancy number 23.01.13 , to the application email address below, for the attention of drs. L.J.P.M. van Mosseveld, before 29 March 2013.
For more information on the application procedure please call the contact phone number below.
Application Deadline: 29-Mar-2013
Email Address for Applications: vacatureslet.ru.nl
Dr. Asifa Majid
Phone: +31 24 3612916
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 21-Feb-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.