LINGUIST List 24.1638|
Wed Apr 10 2013
Jobs: English; Applied Ling; Language Acq: English Language Specialist, English Language Institute of Singapore
Editor for this issue: Uliana Kazagasheva
From: Gregory He <moe_frumoe.gov.sg>
Subject: English; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition: English Language Specialist, English Language Institute of Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: English Language Institute of Singapore
Job Location: Singapore, Singapore
Web Address: http://www.elis.moe.edu.sg/
Job Rank: English Language Specialist
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition
Required Language(s): English (eng)
Who are we?
As an English Language Specialist, you will assist the Programme Director in the design, implementation and evaluation of ELIS's language programmes in accordance with ELIS's mission and vision.
What is an English Language Specialist?
The English Language Specialist should be capable of effectively engaging teacher-learners teaching at primary, secondary and pre-university levels in Singapore schools. These teacher-learners will possess the equivalent of IELTS 6 to 8 in English. As English is the main medium of communication in all Singapore schools, as well as a subject of study for all primary and secondary school students, an excellent command of the English language is vital.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
You will assist the Programme Director in the following key areas:
- Plan, design, market and facilitate professional development courses in effective communication skills
- Create supporting materials and resources
- Maintain the quality of courses and support by monitoring programmes as well as conducting annual evaluations of programmes
- Research the use of language in the context of classroom interactions
- A relevant Master's degree with specialisation in English Language (as a first language) or Linguistics
- A minimum of 8 years of teaching experience, preferably with knowledge of adult learning methodologies. Having held posts of responsibility (e.g. Head of Department) would be advantageous
- Recent experience of school-based research or participation in action research projects as part of a professional learning community is preferred
- Extensive experience in developing in-service English Language communication skills courses/ programmes
- Expertise in the development of curriculum for the use of English in the teaching of specific subjects (e.g. English for Physics) will be highly desirable
- Proven facilitation skills in the context of teacher development workshops
- Proven skills in planning, managing and writing research projects
How to apply:
If you wish to be considered for interviews conducted between June and Oct 2013, please email your curriculum vitae and transcript of your degrees to the application email address below by 15 September 2013. Please include "ELIS 2013: Application" as the subject of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Successful candidates will be offered an attractive remuneration package of up to SGD120,000 per annum, which will be commensurate with educational qualifications and work experience.
All terms and conditions are subject to review and change from time to time without prior notification. We reserve the right to decide on the terms and conditions to be offered. No reasons will be provided for the selection and non-selection of candidates.
Application Deadline: (Open until filled)
Email Address for Applications: moe_frumoe.gov.sg
Mr Gregory He
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 10-Apr-2013
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.