LINGUIST List 23.3146|
Mon Jul 23 2012
Jobs: English; Applied Ling; Computer Assisted Language Learning: Associate Prof, Otaru Uni of Commerce
Editor for this issue: Svetlana Tchistiakova
From: Personnel Unit <jinjioffice.otaru-uc.ac.jp>
Subject: English; Applied Linguistics; Computer Assisted Language Learning: Associate Professor, Otaru University of Commerce, Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Otaru University of Commerce
Job Location: Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan
Web Address: http://www.otaru-uc.ac.jp/info/koubo/post-13.html
Job Rank: Associate Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Computer Assisted Language Learning
Required Language(s): English (eng)
The Otaru University of Commerce in Hokkaido, Japan is hiring a
full-time tenured Associate Professor for the Department of Applied
Linguistics in the Center for Language Studies.
Specializing in Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL), e-Learning, or
1. Administration of e-Learning systems including Moodle, our in-house Test
of English for International Communication (TOEIC) training program, and
2. Development, editing, recording and proofreading of e-Learning contents.
3. Research, development, operation and improvement of e-Learning
4. Operation and improvement of e-Learning classes.
5. Faculty support for developing blended education course.
6. Teaching general English classes.
1. Applicants should have a Ph.D. in hand, preferably in CALL, e-Learning,
computer science, or a closely related field. They should otherwise have
2. Applicants should have a clear understanding of English proficiency tests
such as TOEIC and TOEFL.
3. Sufficient command of Japanese to pursue administration duties, such as
producing documents, participating in faculty meetings, and coordinating the
4. Teaching experience in college preferable.
5. Applicants should be actively engaged in research.
6. A demonstrated commitment to professional and program development.
The appointee will be expected to teach English classes in the undergraduate
program as well as e-learning/CALL courses in our undergraduate English
teacher training program and on our graduate program.
Period of Appointment:
The successful applicant will be required to take up duties on April 1, 2013.
1. One Curriculum Vitae in Japanese. Additionally, applicants may submit an
2. Copies of undergraduate and graduate school degree certificates and
3. A list of papers and publications.
4. A copy of the candidate's three most important research publications and
their summaries. 5. Summaries should be written in Japanese for English
papers and in English for Japanese papers respectively on one side of an A4
sheet of paper.
6. A CD or DVD-ROM with the candidate's three most important research
publications and their summaries as indicated in "(4)" in PDF or MS WORD
After document screening, one or two candidates will be invited to have an
interview and to demonstrate their teaching ability in a mock class.
In preparing the Japanese CV and list of papers and publications, please use
the prescribed, downloadable form (available from our Website URL listed
Please write (in red) "Application for English Department (Associate Professor
of CALL Education)" on the envelope in which you send your materials. Send
the documents by recorded delivery or by registered mail to the address
Additional contact details:
Tel: (81) 134-27-5208; Fax: (81) 134-27-5213
(Priority given to fax or e-mail for inquiries)
Please note that an applicant may be requested to submit an essay
concerning English education, a letter of recommendation, his or her medical
certificate, and other additional documents as we proceed in our selection
Salary and Benefits:
The successful candidate will be paid in line with the pay scale of Otaru
University of Commerce with pension and insurance benefits equal to those
afforded all members of the faculty.
Application Deadline: 28-Sep-2012
Mailing Address for Applications:
President Makio Yamamoto, Personnel Unit
Otaru University of Commerce
Otaru, Hokkaido 047-8501
Web Address for Applications: http://www.otaru-uc.ac.jp/info/koubo/post-13.html
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 23-Jul-2012
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.