LINGUIST List 22.664|
Wed Feb 09 2011
Jobs: Second/Foreign Lang Education or Acq: Prof/Assoc Prof, U of Tokyo
Editor for this issue: Christy Bird
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to engage in non-discriminatory hiring practices. We urge employers not to discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.cfm
1. Naoki Ogoshi ,
Second/Foreign Language Education or Acquisition: Professor/Associate Professor, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Message 1: Second/Foreign Language Education or Acquisition: Professor/Associate Professor, The University of Tokyo, Japan
From: Naoki Ogoshi <adminboz.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Subject: Second/Foreign Language Education or Acquisition: Professor/Associate Professor, The University of Tokyo, Japan
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: The University of Tokyo
Department: Department of Language and Information Sciences
Job Location: Tokyo, Japan
Web Address: http://gamp.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/eng/staff/sla_recruit.html
Job Rank: Professor/Associate Professor
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Second/Foreign Language Education or Acquisition
Tenured full-time faculty positions as professor or associate professor in
second/foreign language education or acquisition.
Teaching responsibilities: Undergraduate courses in English (reading,
writing, presentation, etc.); undergraduate and graduate courses in
second/foreign language education, second/foreign language acquisition; etc.
Number of positions
1. Doctorate in one of the specified fields (already received or expected
to be received before the date of appointment).
2. Citizenship of any country.
3. Experience teaching and supervising students in the applicant's field
of specialization at the university level.
The salary and other employment conditions shall be as prescribed by the
University of Tokyo's regulations.
Start of employment
For first stage of selection process, Applicants applying on their own
behalf must submit one copy each of the following:
(1) CV in the University of Tokyo's standard resume format. (The necessary
form and instructions for completing it can be downloaded at the
application URL below.)
(2) Proof of receipt of most advanced degree. (Photocopy acceptable.) (If
the degree has not yet been received, documentation (e.g., a letter from
the applicant's doctoral advisor) confirming the expected date of the
granting of the degree.)
(3) A list showing research accomplishments and teaching experience. (Any
format is acceptable. Indicate three major accomplishments with circles.)
(4) Three major research papers or other research accomplishments (original
copy, reprint, or photocopy), including at least one item in English.
(5) Summaries in English of the three major accomplishments indicated in
(3). (Each summary should be about one page in length on A4 or letter-size
(6) A detailed description in English of the applicant's teaching
experience. (About one page on A4 or letter-size paper.)
(7) The names, affiliations, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of two
Recommendations of potential candidates by others are also welcome. In such
cases, the recommender should submit a letter of recommendation (about two
A4 or letter-size pages in any format) as well as a brief resume of the
candidate and a list of the candidate's major research publications and
other accomplishments. The deadline for such recommendations is the same as
for regular applications.
Applicants who pass the first stage of the selection process will be asked
to submit the following for the second stage:
(8) Additional research accomplishments (original copies, reprints, or
How to apply
Submit all of the required documents together by mail or parcel delivery
1. Print "Application for faculty position in second/foreign language
education/acquisition" in red on envelope containing application documents.
2. Materials submitted for the first stage of the selection process cannot
(1) First stage: Evaluation of submitted documents. (Applicants who pass
the first stage will be notified of the results in early May.)
(2) Second stage: Applicants who pass the first stage will be asked to
submit the additional items described in (8) soon after being notified.
(3) Third stage: Applicants who pass the second stage will be interviewed
in late May. The applicants will be notified of the time, location, and
other details of the interview later. (Travel and other expenses will be
borne by the applicants.)
Application Deadline: 28-Mar-2011
Mailing Address for Applications:
Professor Naoki Ogoshi
Office of the Department of Language and Information Sciences
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo
Komaba 3-8-1, Meguro-ku
Web Address for Applications: http://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/per01/r01_e.html
Professor Naoki Ogoshi
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 09-Feb-2011
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.