LINGUIST List 22.3087|
Tue Aug 02 2011
Jobs: Text/Corpus Linguistics: Corpus Linguist, Swype, Inc.
Editor for this issue: Kristen Dunkinson
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to engage in non-discriminatory hiring practices. We urge employers not to discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.cfm
1. Patrick Demasco ,
Text/Corpus Linguistics: Corpus Linguist (Contract Position), Swype, Inc., Massachusetts, USA
Message 1: Text/Corpus Linguistics: Corpus Linguist (Contract Position), Swype, Inc., Massachusetts, USA
From: Patrick Demasco <pdemascoliterate.com>
Subject: Text/Corpus Linguistics: Corpus Linguist (Contract Position), Swype, Inc., Massachusetts, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Swype, Inc.
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Web Address: http://www.swype.com
Job Rank: Corpus Linguist (Contract Position)
Specialty Areas: Text/Corpus Linguistics
*This position has been filled.
Swype has developed an innovative text input method for touch-screen
devices. Swype provides a faster and easier way to input text on any
screen. With one continuous finger or stylus motion across the screen
keyboard, the patented technology enables users to input words faster and
easier than other data input methods - at over 40 words per minute. The
application is designed to work across a variety of devices such as phones,
tablets, game consoles, kiosks, televisions, virtual screens and more.
We are looking for a linguist to lead our Web-based corpus collection
efforts across a wide range of languages. This position will be
contract-based (6-12 months) and may be converted to a full-time employment
position. Hourly rate commensurate with experience.
- Research and identify web-based sources of corpus data
- Use our in-house tools to collect and evaluate data; coordinate with
other staff who may assist in this effort
- Recruit/supervise native language testers
- Coordinate with development team to improve our tools
- Organize and document our corpus data assets
- Work with other team members to improve our processes
The ideal candidate will be smart, creative and hard working and have the
- B.A./B.S. degree in Linguistics or Computational Linguist (graduate work
- Experience in multi-lingual corpus linguistics
- Ability to use software-based tools to collect and analyze text data
- Solid understanding of character encoding issues
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team-oriented environment
Additional skills would be helpful but not necessary:
- Fluency in a non-English language
- Scripting language (Python, Perl)
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
This position has been filled.
Email Address for Applications: pdemascoliterate.com
This position has been filled.
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 02-Aug-2011
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.