LINGUIST List 22.2487|
Wed Jun 15 2011
Jobs: General Linguistics: Linguist, Sensory, Inc.
Editor for this issue: Christy Bird
New! Visit LL's Multitree project for over 1000 trees dynamically generated from scholarly hypotheses about language relationships:
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to engage in non-discriminatory hiring practices. We urge employers not to discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, disability, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/posttolinguist.cfm
1. Human Resources ,
General Linguistics: Linguist, Sensory, Inc., Oregon, USA
Message 1: General Linguistics: Linguist, Sensory, Inc., Oregon, USA
From: Human Resources <jobssensoryinc.com>
Subject: General Linguistics: Linguist, Sensory, Inc., Oregon, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Sensory, Inc.
Job Location: Oregon, USA
Web Address: http://www.sensoryinc.com
Job Rank: Linguist
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Sensory, Inc. is seeking a linguist with an interest in speech technology.
Must be able to juggle multiple projects and priorities, and be very
organized with strong attention to detail. Must be a fast learner with a
keen interest in phonetics, phonology and technical concepts.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Develop and test speaker-independent recognition sets and speech prompts
for customer projects
- Recruit and record internal participants for tuning and testing of
speech recognition sets for customer and internal projects
- Recruit participants for QA testing of tuned recognition sets for
customer and internal projects
- Review recognition vocabularies for optimal customer product performance
- Work with Sensory engineers to deliver internal project deliverables on
- Assist with QA testing of Sensory's QT2SI (Quick
Text-to-Speaker-Independent) recognition set building tool and other
Linguistics tools and provide feedback and bug reports to Engineering
- Assist with phonetic/phonological analysis for ASR (automatic speech
recognition) & TTS (text to speech) engines such as identifying language
specific phonological rules and inventories
- Research and acquire resources (lexicons, training data, etc) needed to
develop TTS voices, and prepare TTS data for use in development
Requirements & Preferences:
- 1-5 years total job experience with demonstrated focus in linguistics
- Fluency in at least one foreign language
- Excellent understanding of phonological and phonetic concepts
- Ability to interpret spectrograms and transcribe in IPA
- Computer literate (Windows, DOS) and experience with Microsoft applications
- Experience using tools such as Audition, Peak, Sound Forge, or Praat
- Knowledge of WorldBet or SAMPA preferred
- B.A./B.S. in Linguistics required; M.A in Linguistics preferred
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Email Address for Applications: jobssensoryinc.com
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 15-Jun-2011
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.