LINGUIST List 21.5118|
Fri Dec 17 2010
Calls: Sociolinguistics/Faroe Islands
Editor for this issue: Amy Brunett
LINGUIST is pleased to announce the launch of an exciting new feature: Easy Abstracts! Easy Abs is a free abstract submission and review facility designed to help conference organizers and reviewers accept and process abstracts online. Just go to: http://www.linguistlist.org/confcustom, and begin your conference customization process today! With Easy Abstracts, submission and review will be as easy as 1-2-3!
1. Karin Jóhanna L. Knudsen ,
Four or More Languages for All: Language Policy Challenges of the Future
Message 1: Four or More Languages for All: Language Policy Challenges of the Future
From: Karin Jóhanna L. Knudsen <karinjsocdev.fo>
Subject: Four or More Languages for All: Language Policy Challenges of the Future
E-mail this message to a friend
Full Title: Four or More Languages for All: Language Policy Challenges of the Future
Date: 22-Aug-2011 - 24-Aug-2011
Location: Tórshavn, Faroe Islands
Contact Person: Karin Jóhanna L. Knudsen
Meeting Email: < click here to access email >
Web Site: http://www.socdev.fo/malpolitikk
Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics
Other Specialty: Language Policy
Call Deadline: 15-Jan-2011
The conference 'Four or More Languages for All: Language Policy Challenges of the Future' - a conference on multilingualism in the Nordic countries - will be held on 22-24 August 2011 in the Nordic House in Tórshavn, the Faroe Islands.
The conference is based on a broad understanding of multilingualism and language policy.
Venue: the Nordic House, Norðari ringvegur - FO-100 Tórshavn -Tlf. (+298)
351351 -Fax (+298) 351350 - E-mail: nlhnlh.fo; webpage: http://www.nlh.fo.
Information about the Faroe Islands: http://www.faroeislands.com/. Information on travel by air to the Faroes: www.atlantic.fo. Information on seaways travel to the Faroes: www.smyril-line.dk.
Please contact the hotel of your preference directly to make your own booking, mentioning the fact that you are a participant in the conference in question: Hotel Føroyar - Tel. (+298) 317500 - Fax (298) 317501 - E-mail: hfhotelforoyar.fo; www.hotelforoyar.fo. Hotel Tórshavn -Tel. (+298) 350000 - E-mail: hthoteltorshavn.fo; www.hoteltorshavn.fo. Hotel Hafnia - Tlf. (+298) 313233 - Fax 315250 - E-mail: hafniahafnia.fo; www.hafnia.fo. Rooms are offered at a negotiated conference rate. Accommodation at a hostel is also an option.
Until 15 April 2011 (date included), DKK 1400 / EUR 187 (students, unemployed and senior citizens DKK 1200 / EUR 160 ).
After 15 April 2011, DKK 1600 / EUR 215 (students, unemployed and senior citizens DKK 1400 / EUR 187).
Fee includes participation, refreshments and lunch during the conference as well as an end-of-conference dinner.
Keynote Speakers are:
- Dr. Carol Benson, Centre for Teaching and Learning, Stockholm University
- Prof. Anne Holmen, Institute of Pedagogy, the Danish School of Education, Aarhus University
- Prof. emeritus Robert Phillipson, Copenhagen Business School
- Prof. Markku Suksi, Department of Law, Åbo Akademi University
- Karin Jóhanna L. Knudsen, karinjsocdev.fo, cand scient.soc., Granskingardepilin fyri Samfelagsmenning (Research Center for Social Development), the University of the Faroe Islands, www.socdev.fo.
- Elisabeth Holm, ehask.fo, cand.phil, MA, The International Office, the University of the Faroe Islands, www.setur.fo
- Sia Spiliopoulou Åkermark, siapeace.ax, Jur. Dr., Associate Professor in international law, director of Åland Islands Peace Institute, www.peace.ax.
- Leena Huss, leena.hussvalentin.uu.se, Professor in Finnish; research fields: multilingualism, language policy, language loss and revitalization, the Hugo Valentin-Centre, Uppsala University.
- Tove Skutnabb-Kangas, skutnabbkangasgmail.com, dr.phil, retired, www.Tove-Skutnabb-Kangas.org, Åbo Akademi University, Vasa, Associate Professor in minority education and linguistic human rights.
Academic Committee, as above, plus:
- Hjalmar Petersen, hjalmar.petersenuni-hamburg.de, dr.phil, Collaborative Research Center: Multilingualism, University of Hamburg.
- Kári á Rógvi, kariarsetur.fo, Jur. Dr., head of faculty, the faculty of history and social studies, the University of the Faroe Islands.
Call for Papers:
Deadline for submission of abstracts (200-300 words) is 15 January 2011.
Abstracts are to be sent to: malpolitikksocdev.fo
Abstracts are to be written in a Scandinavian language and in English.
Registration for the conference is now open on the conference homepage.
Read more on the homepage:
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Page Updated: 17-Dec-2010
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.