Written in a lively style, Discovering Speech, Words, and Mind applies a scientific approach to the study of various aspects of speech, using everyday examples to introduce the beginning student to the world of language and cognition.
* An accessible introduction to the fundamentals of speech production, speech perception, word-formation, language acquisition and speech disorders
* Considers how the informational content of the speech signal relates to phonological units - connecting the three areas of speech, words, and mind
* Focuses on speech production and recognition at the word-level and below, and includes sign languages
* Written in a highly accessible style for students with no background in linguistics or psychology
* Packed with numerous student-friendly features, including engaging examples, illustrations, and sidebars for further discussion; further online exercises and data also available at www.discoveringspeech.wiley.com