LINGUIST List 19.1473|
Fri May 02 2008
Jobs: Natural Language Processing: Engineer/Researcher, Alelo, Inc.
Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Natural Language Processing: Engineer/Researcher, Alelo, Inc., Los Angeles, CA, USA
Message 1: Natural Language Processing: Engineer/Researcher, Alelo, Inc., Los Angeles, CA, USA
From: Andre Valente <avalentealelo.com>
Subject: Natural Language Processing: Engineer/Researcher, Alelo, Inc., Los Angeles, CA, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: Alelo, Inc.
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://alelo.com
Job Rank: NLP engineer/researcher
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Natural Language Processing
Alelo Inc. produces immersive simulations of real-life social communication
based on interactive 3D video games involving spoken dialogs and cultural
protocols with 'socially intelligent virtual humans'. (Alelo means
'language' in Hawaiian.) Our initial applications teach how to communicate
in foreign languages and cultures, and are rapidly growing in several
training, entertainment, advertising and healthcare markets. Please visit
us at http://alelo.com
We seek a Natural Language Processing Researcher/Engineer to join our
rapidly growing team of talented, passionate professionals.
Job functions include:
- Develop and implement NLP applications using both parsing and
- Develop new algorithms to advance the state of the art, specially in
areas such as dialog management and extracting semantic descriptions from
- Configure NLP technology components for new languages and domains.
- Develop software tools for data gathering, data annotation, and
component/model configuration management.
- Help define the agenda for our NLP research and development.
We are looking for someone who has a track record in both research and
engineering of NLP applications, particularly in the area of Natural
Language Understanding. This is a unique opportunity to help advance the
state of the art in natural language systems to support foreign language
The job requires good design skills and the ability to work with and
integrate several diverse technologies. It is a great opportunity for
someone who likes to get things done and enjoys having real users employing
the software he/she creates. Flexibility and curiosity to learn new
technologies are very important.
Education and experience desired:
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, mathematics,
- 5+ years of experience building Natural Language Understanding applications.
- Strong programming skills in C/C++
- Experience with natural language generation is a plus.
- Experience with speech recognition technology is a plus.
- Experience with languages other than English is a plus.
- Experience with XML technologies, Unix/Linux, game programming, agents,
or education software is a plus.
Other requirements include:
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, prioritize workload, and deliver results.
- Good communication skills.
- US citizens or permanent residents only.
- Candidates local to (Southern) California preferred.
We offer competitive benefits package, including: retirement plan; medical,
dental & vision insurance; supplemental insurance; vacation. Most
importantly, we offer an opportunity to perform very interesting work, and
an informal work environment and flexible schedule.
No immigration sponsorship (H1B and similar). No outsourcing companies. No
agencies. No consultants/contractors. Absolutely no phone calls, faxes or
Application Deadline: 30-May-2008
Email Address for Applications: jobsalelo.com
CEO Andre Valente
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.