LINGUIST List 18.779|
Wed Mar 14 2007
Confs: General Ling,Sign language/UK
Editor for this issue: Jeremy Taylor
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
DCAL Summer School
Message 1: DCAL Summer School
From: Alison Phillips <a.phillipsucl.ac.uk>
Subject: DCAL Summer School
DCAL Summer School
Date: 28-Jun-2007 - 29-Jun-2007
Location: London, UK, United Kingdom
Contact: Alison Phillips
Contact Email: < click here to access email >
Meeting URL: http://www.dcal.ac.uk/summerschool
Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics
Language Family(ies): Sign Language
DCAL Summer School: Aims to introduce graduates, post-graduates and
post-docs to sign language related research in order to encourage well-
qualified researchers into the field.
DCAL Summer School: Deaf Studies and Sign Language Research
Researching language and communication in another modality
University College London June 28-29 2007
DCAL is a unique centre researching language, cognition and deafness.
Deafness offers an exciting model for approaching questions on language -
its origins, development and processes. Our two key themes are:
Modality - to what extent do languages that make use of the vocal and the
visuo-gestural channel differ - and how are they alike; and
Experience -what are the conditions necessary and sufficient for language
The five specific themes are:
(1) Language processing - Is language independent from other cognitive
functions regardless of modality? How is the use of phonological, syntactic
and semantic information orchestrated in signed vs. spoken language?
(2) Face-to-face communication - what accounts for individual differences in
speechreading ability, and how are facial actions processed in speech and in
(3) Language development - what are the similarities and differences
between the native speaker and native signer?
(4) atypical sign language - what does sign language look like in the
presence of neurological and neuropsychiatric disorders?
(5) the deaf individual and the community - What are the main issues in
relation to communication within the deaf community and the broader
Aim of the summer school
- To introduce graduates, post-graduates and post-docs to sign language
related research in order to encourage well-qualified researchers into the
field. Places limited to 20 participants.
- Introduction to Deaf Awareness and to BSL
- Working in a deaf/hearing environment
- Applied Language research/Sociolinguistics
- Psycholinguistics/language processing
- Sign language acquisition and developmental psychology
- Sign Linguistics
- Opportunities for deaf and hearing researchers in the field
There is a nominal registration fee of £25 to cover lunches and dinner.
Accommodation is not provided but will be available at low cost. There are a
limited number of bursaries available.
The application form can be downloaded from
http://www.dcal.ucl.ac.uk/summerschool. Complete and return the form by e-
mail to dcalucl.ac.uk. The referee's form should be completed and e-
mailed by your referee directly to us.
A poster can also be downloaded from
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.