LINGUIST List 18.2803|
Thu Sep 27 2007
Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Research Linguist, A-Life Medical
Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Computational Linguistics: Research Linguist, A-Life Medical, San Diego, CA, USA
Message 1: Computational Linguistics: Research Linguist, A-Life Medical, San Diego, CA, USA
From: Susan Forrest <sforrestalifemedical.com>
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Research Linguist, A-Life Medical, San Diego, CA, USA
E-mail this message to a friend
University or Organization: A-Life Medical
Department: Human Resources
Web Address: http://www.alifemedical.com
Job Rank: Research Linguist
Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics
The Research Linguist will work closely with other medical language
linguists and the Quality Assurance Department to develop state-of-the-art
medical NLP. He or she will be responsible for maintaining and developing
domain-specific lexical databases and rules related to medical diagnoses,
procedures, and various other facets of medical encounters. He or she will
apply various techniques from computational linguistics to develop and
improve software modules that perform morphological analysis, tokenization,
parsing, and semantic analysis. Some linguistic design work on particular
areas of semantic or grammatical disambiguation will be required, with
constant attention to implementation and a rapid development cycle. The
Research Linguist reports to the Manager of NLP Development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Acquire a working knowledge of the main linguistic modules of the
LifeCode system, including a basic understanding of vector matching, the
function and editing of lexers, the role of general purpose lexers
(normalizer, morpher, acronym lexer, etc.), and segmentation.
- Assist in the design, development, maintenance, documentation and
testing of a particular aspect of coding or a particular previously
- Work with other linguists and software engineers to arrive at new
solutions to complex problems and to implement these solutions.
- Work with QA staff to test changes to the system and find problems with
the system. This may entail extensive regression testing, database querying
and report generation.
- Bachelor or Masters degree in Linguistics, Cognitive Science, or a
- 0-3 years related professional work experience required.
- Computational Linguistics: Phonetics, Morphology, Syntax and Semantics;
Cognitive Linguistics; Regular Expressions, Natural Language Processing.
- Medical vocabulary and the pragmatics of medical documentation should be
- A strong aptitude for computers is required. It will be necessary to
develop a working knowledge of C++, Lex, Yacc/Yacc++, as well as SQL.
- Skills in rapid data manipulation and analysis are required. Knowledge
of at least one rapid and powerful text manipulating program is required,
such as Perl, Python, or an equivalent UNIX utility.
- Applications: Excel, Word, Visual Source Safe, Visual Studio, SQL Query
- Experience with XML and XSLT is desirable, as well as a demonstrable
ability to find information on the internet.
Other Skills / Experience:
- A demonstrated ability to function within a team and to handle a variety
- Logical thinker and quick learner with strong problem solving and
- Customer service oriented with a strong commitment to produce high
quality, workable solutions for both internal and external customers.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Application Deadline: 31-Oct-2007
Email Address for Applications: sforrestalifemedical.com
Director of Human Resources Susan Forrest
Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.