From: John Nerbonne <j.nerbonnerug.nl>
Subject: Various Specializations: PhD Student, University of Groningen, Netherlands
Institution/Organization: University of Groningen
Department: Center for Language and Cognition
Duties: Project Work
The Center for Language and Cognition Groningen (CLCG) announces the
- Three Ubbo Emmius Ph.D. Fellowships in Linguistics (various topics, see
- One Ph.D. Fellowship in Linguistics for work in the project 'Linguistic
determinants of mutual intelligibility in Scandinavia'
The Ubbo Emmius positions (all the PhD positions) are open only to foreign
applicants. Dutch citizens are not eligible due to tax restrictions.
Three open positions may be filled in any of the following research groups:
- computational linguistics
- discourse structure
- second language development
- syntax and semantics
- language variation and language change
There is also a fellowship available for a researcher (Ph.D. student)
interested in 'Linguistic determinants of mutual intelligibility in
Scandinavia'. Specifics about this project are available at web site (see
- The 'open' positions should begin Sept. 1, 2006, and the position on
intelligibility in Jan., 2007. They all require residence in Groningen, 38
hours/week research, and the stipends must result in a PhD dissertation.
- Fellowship Stipends: Graduate students receive stipends of gross 1399 per
month, normally with slight cost-of-living increases in later years.
Graduate student fellows receive a contract for one year extendible for
three further years subject to evaluation after the first year.
- a MA degree in Linguistics or a related field such as Computer Science,
Psychology, etc (depending on the project)
- preferably research experience in the relevant field
- able to work independently
- interest in interdisciplinary research
- excellent record of undergraduate and Master's level study
- willing to learn Dutch
- see specific projects for additional desiderata, differing per project
Please include in your application letter remarks about how this position
fits in your career goals and how you hope to contribute scientifically. In
total we would like to receive:
- a letter of application (see above)
- a project proposal or reaction to existing project plans
- your curriculum vitae
- a copy of your diploma together with a list of grades
- a list of publications (if any)
- the names and e-mail addresses of two referees
For more details, see http://www.let.rug.nl/nerbonne/clcg/phd-2006/
Web Address for Applications:
Mailing Address for Applications:
Attn: Dr. Anna Hausdorf
CLCG (Positions), Rijksuniversiteit Groningen
Groningen NL 9700 AS
Applications are due by: 05-May-2006
Prof. John Nerbonne
Phone:+31 50 363 58 15
Fax:+31 50 363 68 55
This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $52,932. This money will go to help keep the
List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.
See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out our Fund Drive 2006
LINGUIST List Cruise for some Fund Drive fun!
There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!
You can donate right now using our secure credit card form.
Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later.
For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by
check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can
receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit
organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against
your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more
information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.
Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift
you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human
resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns
to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the
value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment
to check if your company operates such a program.
Thank you very much for your support of LINGUIST!
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue