LINGUIST List 16.61
Thu Jan 13 2005
Jobs: ESL/L2 Acquisition: Teacher, U of Southern CA
Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessalinguistlist.org>
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
ESL/L2 Acquisition: Teacher, University of Southern California, CA, USA
Message 1: ESL/L2 Acquisition: Teacher, University of Southern California, CA, USA
From: Jim Cunningham <jrcunninusc.edu>
Subject: ESL/L2 Acquisition: Teacher, University of Southern California, CA, USA
University or Organization: University of Southern California
Department: American Language Institute
Job Rank: Teacher
Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; English as a Second Language
Required Language: English (ENG)
The American Language Institute at the University of Southern California is
accepting applications for a full-time, non-tenure track faculty position as ESL
Lecturer. The appointment is for ten months with the possibility of renewal.
Salary is commensurate with experience, with opportunities for additional income
for summer employment. Start date: August 1st, 2005. USC is an AA/EOE employer.
- Masters degree in TESOL or closely related field
- Five years university-level teaching experience in ESL
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Experience in designing curricula and creating innovative materials
- Evidence of professional involvement in the field of TESOL
Strong background in:
- Materials development in English for Academic Purposes
- Second language writing instruction
- Project collaboration
Some experience in:
- Teaching English to science and technology graduate students
- Testing, placement, and streaming
All candidates must be eligible for employment in the United States.
- Teach academic English language courses in the program.
- Develop syllabi, course materials, and teaching notes for academic English
- Fulfill administrative duties by participating in meetings, testing, and
- Participate in the further development of the ALI program
Review of applicants will begin on April 30, 2005
Please send or email a letter of application and a current resume, including
contact information for at least three references to the address below.
Address for Applications:
Jim Cunningham, ALI Program Administrator
(Attention: ALI Faculty Search Committee)
USC/American Language Institute
938 West 34th Street, HSS 100
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0062
United States of America
Application Deadline: 30-Apr-2005
Mr. Jim Cunningham
Phone: 213 740-0087
Fax: 213 740-8549
This announcement was not accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List.
It is being posted as a service to the discipline.
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue