LINGUIST List 16.3544|
Wed Dec 14 2005
Jobs: English/Discourse Analysis: Discourse Analyst, CA
Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity, nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we have no means of enforcing these standards. Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobs/jobnet.html. This page has been set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries. To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html.
English & Discourse Analysis: Discourse Analyst, H5 Technologies, CA, USA
Message 1: English & Discourse Analysis: Discourse Analyst, H5 Technologies, CA, USA
From: Barbara Saunders <bsaundersh5technologies.com>
Subject: English & Discourse Analysis: Discourse Analyst, H5 Technologies, CA, USA
University or Organization: H5 Technologies
Department: Professional Services
Job Rank: Discourse Analyst/Linguist
Specialty Areas: Discourse Analysis; Corpus Linguistics
Required Language(s): English (eng)
H5 Technologies, Inc., a privately held, Draper Fisher Jurvetson funded company
located in San Francisco. We provide technology based document review services
to litigators through both direct sales and outsourced service contracts. H5's
patented technology, which replicates and automates human relevance assessments,
along with our advanced linguistic analysis enables the review of massive
document collections with unparalleled results. Our Professional Services Group
consults with legal teams to devise a classification scheme and then trains our
patented software engine to automatically classify documents. We are looking to
add several linguists to our team of Discourse Analysts.
- Analyzing linguistic data
- Researching large corpora for linguistic patterns
- Interviewing subject matter experts
- Rapidly developing an understanding of new fields
- Reading a wide variety of documents, from email to academic articles;
synthesizing large amounts of information into a coherent picture of the
community that produced and used it
- Identifying and modeling processes and relationships in a community
- Designing, building, and testing H5's unique and proprietary knowledge bases
- Demonstrated understanding of role of semantics and syntax in natural language.
- Mastery of the English language.
- Interest in researching and modeling another community's structure.
Experience in ethnography or anthropology a plus.
- Leadership skills, personal incentive and a demonstrated ability to initiate,
develop, and successfully conclude projects.
- Attention to detail, precise thinking, and the ability to make close,
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, both autonomously and
- Basic computer and software competency in a PC/Windows environment.
Familiarity with Unix and PERL - programming skills a plus.
- Solid academic credentials: advanced undergraduate and/or graduate-level
coursework in linguistics preferred.
- Experience applying linguistic expertise to real language data-experience in
Corpus Analysis, Text Analysis, Conversational Analysis, or
Computational Linguistics a plus.
H5 Technologies fosters a culture that rewards personal excellence in the
pursuit of our common goals and is extraordinarily respectful of the individual
and of the creative, intellectual, and cultural diversity of our team. H5
Technologies is an equal opportunity employer.
Send resume and cover letter to ling-jobsh5technologies.com. We will be
conducting interviews at the annual meeting of the Linguistic Society of
America. Please indicate if you are planning to attend that event.
Address for Applications:
Discourse Analyst Hannah Marciniak Marciniak
55 Second Street, 2nd floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
Please report any bad links or misclassified data
LINGUIST Homepage | Read
LINGUIST | Contact us
While the LINGUIST List makes every effort to ensure the linguistic relevance of sites listed
on its pages, it cannot vouch for their contents.