LINGUIST List 16.243
Wed Jan 26 2005
Jobs: Arabic/Text/Corpus Ling: Scientist, NY
Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessalinguistlist.org>
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
Arabic/English/Text/Corpus Linguistics: Scientist, TextWise, NY, USA
Message 1: Arabic/English/Text/Corpus Linguistics: Scientist, TextWise, NY, USA
From: Kim Helfrich <khelfrichtextwise.com>
Subject: Arabic/English/Text/Corpus Linguistics: Scientist, TextWise, NY, USA
University or Organization: TextWise
Job Rank: Scientist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Translation
Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (ABV)
[Updated reposting of #15.3440]
For over 10 years, TextWise has developed cutting-edge technology to analyze
unstructured text for government and commercial applications. Join the CINDOR
team to extend our state-of-the-art cross-language information retrieval system
to Arabic. This position reports to the Director of Science.
Key Responsibilities include:
1. Optimize linguistic algorithms and custom toolkit for cross-language text mining.
2. Use toolkit to build an Arabic lexical database associated with Princeton
3. Develop query disambiguation, translation, and optimization to target multiple
4. Measure precision/recall of the system and design new ways to improve
1. Ph.D. (or M.S. with 2+ years commercial experience) in computational
linguistics, computer science, or related area.
2. Strong knowledge and hands-on experience in:
- Natural Language Processing (NLP);
- Cross-Language Information Retrieval (CLIR);
- Text Mining;
- TREC evaluations;
- WordNet architecture and optimization;
- Java / Linux programming.
3. Native or near-native fluency in both English and Modern Standard Arabic, with
linguistic knowledge of both.
4. Strong organizational skills.
5. Ability to work both independently and within an existing team.
We are also hiring scientists for our Semantic Signatures team to build the
world's best contextual advertising search engine (see
http://www.textwise.com/commercial). MS/PhD in computer science; experience in
search engines, text mining, NLP, and statistical analysis.
Address for Applications:
1100 Chase Square
Rochester, NY 14604
United States of America
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
This announcement was not accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List.
It is being posted as a service to the discipline.
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue