LINGUIST List 15.3573
Thu Dec 23 2004
Jobs: General Linguistics: Trainee Editor, Germany
Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessalinguistlist.org>
The LINGUIST List strongly encourages employers to use
non-discriminatory standards in hiring policy. In particular we urge
that employers do not discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnicity,
nationality, age, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. However, we
have no means of enforcing these standards.
Job seekers should pay special attention to language in ads regarding
employment requirements and are encouraged to consult our international
employment page at http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been
set up so that people can report on the employment standards of various countries.
To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
General Linguistics: Trainee Editor, Mouton de Gruyter, Germany
Message 1: General Linguistics: Trainee Editor, Mouton de Gruyter, Germany
From: Anke Beck <mouton.editorialdegruyter.com>
Subject: General Linguistics: Trainee Editor, Mouton de Gruyter, Germany
University or Organization: Mouton de Gruyter
Job Rank: Trainee Editor
Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Mouton de Gruyter, Berlin, is currently seeking a Trainee Editor (m/f) to join
our Editorial department, for the period of March 2005 to February 2007.
Our training program covers the whole spectrum of planning and managing
editorial projects. Your training will focus on the following areas:
- support and involvement on electronic projects (multimedia publications,
maintaining web-based editorial systems);
- project management of book and journal publications;
- editing academic promotional texts (in English) for linguistics publications;
- preparing and supervising the production of new publications catalogues and
trade previews, managing deadlines;
- preparing contracts;
- after initial training, independent responsibility for projects.
As the Editorial department is closely involved with other in-house departments,
the training program will provide a very good overview of the publishing
company's general mode of operation. It also includes a six-month period during
which you will gain direct experience of other in-house departments.
The person for this post will ideally have:
- completed stage II of their studies (German Hauptstudium or equivalent) in
linguistics or a related subject area;
- excellent computer skills: confident use of standard programs
(Word, Excel, databases, Internet);
- practical experience of working on database publications or with editorial
systems and knowledge of XHTML, XML, Unicode would be an advantage;
- very good English and German language skills;
- an eye for detail and the ability to keep to tight schedules;
- a structured and pragmatic way of thinking;
- the ability to work independently, on their own initiative;
- flexibility in their approach to work;
- the ability to work as part of a team.
Please do not submit applications by e-mail.
Address for Applications:
Mouton de Gruyter
Genthiner Str. 13
Application Deadline: 17-Jan-2005
This announcement was not accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List.
It is being posted as a service to the discipline.
Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue