LINGUIST List 10.1324
Thu Sep 9 1999
Books: 2nd Language Education
Editor for this issue: Scott Fults <scottlinguistlist.org>
Links to the websites of all LINGUIST's supporting publishers are
available at the end of this issue.
- Kathryn King, 2nd Language Education - Motivating Language Learners
Message 1: 2nd Language Education - Motivating Language Learners
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:33:20 +0100
From: Kathryn King <kathrynmultilingual-matters.com>
Subject: 2nd Language Education - Motivating Language Learners
MOTIVATING LANGUAGE LEARNERS
Gary N. Chambers (University of Leeds)
"Language teachers at all levels will appreciate the combination of
scholarship and practicality which characterises this book and will
gain a new sense of the vital role they play in the educative process"
Dr Colin Asher, University of Leeds
This book is informed by pupils' perceptions of the foreign language
learning experience: attitudes brought from primary school; from home;
visits abroad; the classroom. What are the implications of these for
teachers? The author provides practical strategies to enhance (a) the
enjoyment of the in-class experience and (b) the status of modern
languages on the curriculum.
2. What is motivation?
3. Filling the information-gap
4. Getting inside the pupils' heads
5. Attitudes brought to the classroom
6. Influence of home environment
7. Pupils' perceptions of people from other countries
8. The pupils' perspective from the classroom
9. The teacher's hats
10. What can we learn from the Germans?
11. ''I did it my way!''
12. So what are we going to do about it?
Gary Chambers taught German and Latin in secondary schools in
Cleveland and London before joining the School of Education, Leeds
University, in 1989. His major research interest is problems relating
to motivation and foreign language learning. He has also co-directed
projects on teaching foreign languages to pupils with special
educational needs, diversification, and 'bilingual' teaching of
geography and history. He is Editor of Language Learning Journal.
Hbk 1-85359-449-0 pounds 43.00 USD69.00 CAND85.00
Pbk 1-85359-402-4 pounds 14.95 USD25.95 CAND30.95
(1) Customer Order Dept, UTP Distribution, 2250 Military Road, Tonowanda
NY 14150, USA
(2) Customer Order Department, UTP Distribution, 5201 Dufferin Street,
North York, Ontario M3H 5T8, Canada
Both countries Tel: 416 667 7791, or toll free 1-800 565 9523
Fax: 416 667 7832 or toll free 1-800 221 9985
(3) Eleanor Brasch Enterprises, P.O. Box 586, Artamon NSW 2064,
Tel: (02) 9419 8717 Fax: (02) 9419 7930 email: ebeenternet.com.au
(4) PMS Marketing Services Ltd., 10-C Jalan Ampas #07-01, Ho Seng Lee
Flatted Warehouse, Singapore 1232
Tel: 256 5166 Fax: 253 0008
Mail to author|Respond to list|Read more issues|LINGUIST home page|Top of issue
you buy one of these books please tell the publisher or author that you
saw it on LINGUIST.
following publishers contribute to the support of The LINGUIST List:
Major Supporters ----------------
Institute of Linguistics
Other Supporting Publishers ---------